31 August 2009

Patriotisme or Humiliation


I spent the whole day today trying to find the real meaning of MERDEKA. We learnt about it in Form 3 Sejarah and we all know what merdeka is. On the surface, Merdeka means the independence of Malaya from British in the year 1957.

But as a Malaysian, do we know the real meaning of Merdeka? Do we know how much our forefathers had to go through to achieve this freedom we have now? Do we even care or want to care on how we should keep our country at peace so the past wont haunt us again.

Today while i was out, I saw a group of youngsters on motorcycles. With no intention to label anyone, my sister and I were embarrassed to see these youngsters or "rempits" roaming the city with the Jalur Gemilang on their back and cigarettes in their mouths. Its the fasting month. Did they feel no shame to go around on their bikes and humiliate their race and religion. As a Melayu i felt shameful for them. If this is their way of showing patriotism, might as well not show it at all.

Yes, i'm not the most perfect Malay in the world, nor am I the best Muslim, but i know where to cross the line. If I was a foreigner and saw that, I would question this country. Question its integrity and harmony. These people are putting other people's lives in danger. If you want to go on and die in the name of your motorcycle, go ahead without further a due, but other people want to live the lives God gave them.

I'm here just to point out that young Malaysians these days need to understand that Merdeka isnt just a game. The struggle and hustle that Tunku Abdul Rahman, Dato Onn Jaafar and Tok Janggut had to go through to protect this nation from communists and British. From the Japanese to the British. For over 500 years our country was colonized. And for over 52 years we have achieved independence. I still question whether to be a Malaysian is to just live here, or to know the real meaning of Merdeka itself, and proudly answer foreigners on how we have achieved what we have today. And to be even more proud to call ourselves Malaysians.


Truly,
A Malaysian

0 comments: